Forum Title: How to remove double hung windows
I plan on removing the double hung windows in a 1942 Cape Cod to strip off the old paint, re-seat the glass panes, and generally make them look and work like new again. The sliding action is all gummed up from numerous poor paint jobs. They have cartridge-type balances, and I was wondering, how do I remove the windows these without destroying or unwinding the springs in the cartridges?
Category: Windows & Doors Post By: DANA RIOS (Fort Collins, CO), 01/06/2019

The aluminum grids are sealed between the two panes of glass. (an insulating glass unit, or IGU). You would need to replace the IGU of you would like that repaired. You can have that done by a glass house (look in yellow pages under glass). If you don't know the window brand, that seems to be your only option.

- FERNANDO WARNER (Macon, GA), 02/01/2019

What he said. I have never seen of any type balance other than iron weights in an early 40's construction window. From an esthetic viewpoint, , there are friction type inserts that will do essentially the same thing as a balnce, for a DH sash. For energy efficiency, scrap them and replace with wood or vinyl energy efficient replacement units.

- RHONDA GILBERT (Oakland, CA), 02/17/2019

Guidance, Tips & Home Repair Support From Local Pro's

requestaquote Get Free Quotes callnow 888-506-9527